The Azerbaijan people, continuing the traditions of many centuries of their Statehood, guided by the principles which are reflected in the Constitutional Act on the State Independence of the Republic of Azerbaijan, wishing to provide welfare for all and everyone, and to establish justice, freedom, security, and being aware of their responsibility before past, present, and future generations, exercise their sovereign right by solemnly declaring the following goals:
• to protect the independence, sovereignty and the territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
• to guarantee the democratic system within the framework of the Constitution;
• to achieve the realization of a civil society;
• to establish a law-governed, secular state which assures the supremacy of the law as an expression of the will of the people;
• to assure to all a decent level of life in accordance with a just economic and social order;
• to live under conditions of friendship, peace and safety with other peoples, maintaining a commitment to general human values and to implement a mutually beneficial cooperation for these purposes.